Monday, October 14, 2013

Annie's Christmas Wish

 
The Gist:
Annie has always dreamed of visiting New York City, ever since her mother brought her a snow globe when she was younger. 
At a time in her life, when young Amish adults are made to decide whether they want to be baptized into the church or leave the simple life behind, this dream trip could tip the scales.  On the other hand, there is Aaron, the man who has grown up with Annie and, in adulthood, come to believe that they are meant to be. 
      As Annie, her family, and Aaron wonder through the sites of New York at Christmastime, she is forced to examine whether she should follow her career ambition of writing, or give a second look to an old friend who might be the central piece in the future she could have.
      Readers journey from Amish country, Paradise Pennsylvania, to the big city with the Bontrager family, in this fourth book in the Quilts of Lancaster County series.

What I Thought:
      This novel was an incredibly refreshing read.  So often it seems as though we get caught up in things that do not matter, and neglect the blessings that we receive all of the time.  Reading about the Bontrager family, with their “simple” beliefs, made me open my eyes to all of the wonders in my community, and in my life.
      I have read the first book in this series a while ago, so I was familiar with the Bontrager dynamic, however it did take me a little bit of time to readjust to the characters, and place all of the family members with the amount of back story I need.  Although I do believe that there is enough background given on the previous stories, I would suggest reading at least the first novel, A Time to Love, since this family did not form in a traditional way, you will not be disappointed, it is also a fabulous read.  I personally am looking forward to reading the second and third book in the series to see what I have missed!
      Miss Cameron has a way of writing about the Amish community, that makes readers feel as though they are an invited guest, sipping hot tea in the kitchen as a family that is not caught up in the trappings of modern day society works, plays, dreams, and loves.  You really get a sense of this religion, not so much in the specifics, or history, but more in the way you’d get to know what it is really about by living it, or watching members live, without them knowing you were there.
I left this book feeling as though I would miss the characters.  Annie is very relatable in the sense that everyone goes through a struggle in their young life, where they need to decide who they want to be, and what sacrifices that they are willing to make to get there.  Jenny, Annie’s mother, is the mother that I strive to be; she is caring, warm, and genuinely interested in her children’s thoughts and feelings.  Aaron is a genuinely good guy; readers will root for him, as he tries to open Annie’s eyes to a future that could fulfill more dreams than one.
If you are looking for a good clean story, that puts the emphasis of Christmas back on God and family, I highly recommend this book.  Grab a cup of tea, cuddle under a blanket, and let yourself be overtaken with the Christmas Spirit with Annie’s Christmas Wish available now!
     

No comments:

Post a Comment