Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The ABCs of Yoga for Kids

 
Title: The ABCs of Yoga for Kids
By Teresa Ann Power

The Gist:
This is an interactive storybook that explains, at least, one yoga pose for each letter of the alphabet with a short rhyme.  Most poses include an illustration of a child completing the activity.

What I thought:
This book is so much fun!  My daughter (4) and I have had a great time trying out all of the poses in this book.  We have now gotten into the habit of choosing five poses to do before bed- and falling asleep has become less of a struggle!
The illustrations are very cute, and I really appreciate that the object/animal that you are imagining/emulating is included beside the picture of the child-, which really helps children with imagery.  In my family, with a new crawler/dare-devil getting into things, it was a little hard to get started and focused, but I have noticed that with our “night practice,” we are able to work on breathing and visualization, which lends itself to better focus when my daughter requests to do “her yoga” during the day.
I think that this book is a wonderful tool for any parent (and teacher), the benefits of the poses and stretches are amplified by the imagination and calm that will come from this practice!

No comments:

Post a Comment